Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Birth of a Child

Your Baby's Report of Birth, Passport and Social Security Number

Congratulations on your child's birth!

Your new baby needs a first passport, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (similar to a birth certificate) and a Social Security number. On this page, we will walk you through the process of applying for all three items.

Please note that the U.S. Embassy in Ljubljana only issues a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for a child born in Slovenia. If the child was born outside the United States but in a country other than Slovenia, we must forward the paperwork to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over the child's place of birth, a process which can take three months or longer. Military personnel stationed in Italy should apply submit their child’s paperwork to Consulate General Milan through the passport agent on base.

Let's Get Started...

All documents must be originals. All birth, adoption, marriage, death or divorce certificates must bear an original seal, stamp or signature. And all documents not in English or Slovene must be accompanied by a certified translation.

Step 1: Assemble all the Documents

Please complete each of the forms below:

Please do not sign any of the forms until you are at the Embassy. They must be signed in the presence of the consular officer.

Assemble all of the following items that apply to your situation – it is helpful for us to have the original and one photocopy of each document:

  • The child's original local birth certificate. For information about obtaining a Slovene birth certificate, please contact the Upravna enota.
  • Evidence of the U.S. citizenship of the parent(s), such as a U.S. passport, original U.S. birth certificate, or original U.S. naturalization certificate;
  • If one parent is not a U.S. citizen, please also submit the parent's passport or Slovene ID card;
  • The parents' original marriage certificate, if married to each other at the time of the child's birth;
  • Evidence of the termination of any previous marriages of either parent, such as a divorce decree, annulment decree, or death certificate, if applicable;
  • In some situations, how long one or both American parents lived in the U.S. can affect your child's acquisition of citizenship. Please be prepared to submit evidence of the American citizen parent’s physical presence in the U.S., such as military records, school transcripts, W2 forms, etc.
  • Evidence of the parents’ physical presence together at conception. In some situations, such as if your child was conceived out-of-wedlock, we may ask for evidence of the biological parents' physical presence at the time of conception. Such evidence might include stamps in passports, military travel orders, leases, etc.  In some complex cases, a blood or DNA test may be useful.
  • Two-parent consent for passport issuance: All applicants under the age of 16 must meet the requirements listed in the Law on Passport Applications for Minors. In most instances, this means that both parents must sign the child's passport application. Both parents, even if one is not an American, can come to the Embassy and sign together, in-person, or... One parent may sign in-person and the other parent may give his/her consent through a written affidavit. The affidavit must be notarized.
  • One photo: The photo must be 2 x 2 inches (5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background. Please make sure your child's eyes are open in the photo. One way to do this is to drape a white sheet over one (sitting) parent, who holds the baby's head and neck upright under the sheet. A second way is to place the child on a white blanket on the floor and take the photo while standing over him/her. You can also go to a professional photographer if you prefer but just be careful with the size of the photo -- "passport photos" you get at a local shop are likely too small as they are intended for Slovene documents. Unacceptable photos are the number one cause for delays in processing Reports of Birth.
  • The fees are US$100 for the Consular Report of Birth and US$105 for the passport, for a total of US$205.  We accept U.S. dollars or euros, payable in cash or by credit card.  The fee in euros fluctuates with the exchange rate, so please contact the Consular Section at for the current rate if you plan to pay in euros.

Step 2: Now that you have all the documents together, it’s time to set an appointment

Use our online calendar to make an appointment. Your child, even a newborn, must appear in person at our office. There are no exceptions possible for this requirement, sorry.  Once you have made the appointment for your child, please email the consular section and provide the parents’ names, the child’s name, and the date of the appointment.

If you are driving to Slovenia from Italy, Austria, Croatia, or Hungary, please make sure you stop at the border and purchase a vignette for your car.  Using Slovene highways without a valid and properly-displayed vignette in a vehicle is considered a violation of the law; drivers may be fined between EUR 300 and 800.  For more information, please see our page on Driving & Auto Accidents.

Step 3: Receiving the Documents

Once the passport and Consular Report of Birth have been printed in the States and forwarded to the Embassy, you will receive a notice by email. One parent can either come to the Embassy to pick up the documents in-person. Or we can mail them to you. If you prefer the mailing option, please bring with you to the appointment an A4-sized padded envelope (podlo┼żena kuverta) with €1.50 in Slovene postage stamps affixed to it. For the location of the nearest Slovene post office, see the Pošta Slovenija.  Please note that we only mail documents within Slovenia. If you are living in Italy, Croatia or Austria, you will either need to pick up the documents at the Embassy or use a friend’s address in Slovenia for the mail.

You will also receive a Social Security card for the child at a later date in a separate mailing, directly from the Social Security Administration in Baltimore, Maryland. This may take three to six months to arrive. To submit the Social Security application, we will need to make a copy of your child’s passport once you have signed it.

What do I do if I lose my Report of Birth?

If at a future date you wish to obtain another copy of the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or if you wish to amend or correct your existing document, please follow these instructions.

Download Adobe Reader