Lost & Stolen Passports
If your passport or passport card is lost or stolen, you are advised to report the loss/theft to the nearest Slovene police station. In order to replace the passport, it will be necessary for you to appear in-person at the Embassy. You should apply for a replacement passport as soon as possible after the loss or theft is discovered.
All full-validity passports are printed in the U.S. and are mailed by courier service back to the Embassy. It typically takes between 7 to 10 working days for us to receive a passport. In emergency cases, we may be able to issue a limited-validity passport here at the Embassy.
If you are driving to Ljubljana from Italy, Austria or Croatia, please make sure you stop at the border and purchase a vignette for your car. Using Slovene highways without a valid and properly-displayed vignette in a vehicle is considered a violation of the law; drivers may be fined between EUR 300 and 800.
Step One: Assemble all the Documents
Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as:
- U.S. Birth Certificate; or
- U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad; or
- Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship.
Proof of identity, such as:
- a valid passport of any country; or
- a valid national identity card with photograph; or
- a driver’s license with photo; or
- military ID card.
Step Two: Make an Appointment
All passport services are handled by appointment only. Please make an appointment through our online calendar. If you are applying for a child, please see our page on First Time Passport applications for the documentation and personal appearance requirements.
Step Three: Appear at the Embassy
On the day of your passport appointment, please bring the following items with you to the Embassy (in addition to the documents listed above):
- Completed Passport Application Form DS-11. Please do not sign the form until you are at the Embassy, in front of the consular officer.
- Completed Statement Regarding Lost/Stolen Passport Form DS-64
- One passport photo – 2” by 2” (5x5 cm) against a white background. There are several photo studios close to the Embassy that are familiar with our passport requirements - if you would like the contact information, please email us.
- Police report if you have one.
- The fee for a passport is US$135 or 108€ and for a passport card is US$30 or 24€. Fees can be paid by cash or by credit card.
- Once your passport has been printed in the States and couriered to the Embassy, you can either pick it up in-person or we can mail it to you. If you prefer the mailing option, please bring us an A4-sized padded envelope (podložena kuverta) with €.92 in Slovene postage stamps affixed to it. Please note that we only mail documents within Slovenia. If you live in Italy, Croatia or Austria, you will either need to pick up the documents at the Embassy or use a friend’s address in Slovenia for the mail. If you have emergency travel plans, please consult with the Consular Officer at the time of your interview.